IPB

Здравствуйте, гость ( Вход | Регистрация )

> Тренинги Ясное мышление

Отправить заявку на тренинг: Форма регистрации

Добавить ответ в эту темуОткрыть тему
> Озарения общесемантиков, (in English)
Yeshe
сообщение 3.12.2006, 23:31
Сообщение #1

Из: Киев

Thoughts on regrets and seizing the day

Цитата
So, what does "live life with no regrets" mean to me? I might not have known for sure a few years ago, but now I think I know how I apply this in my own life.

To me, "regrets" implies lingering doubts about a decision I have made or opinions I hold. When I consider certain deeply significant moments in my life, I find that much of the more difficult emotional content of those moments came from my beliefs about what *others* might think I should feel. When I started trusting my own analysis enough to decide for myself how to feel, I found I could embrace the reality of the moment without regrets for what "might have been" or what I "should have" felt.

I don't think that "seizing the day" necessarily involves extreme or heedless behavior. Indeed, I think that a lot of extreme behavior stems from a kind of fear that one does not "measure up" to others' expectations. I think that you seize the day by working hard to confront the moment in which you live, rather than complicating it with historical evaluations or future what-ifs, and without undue concern for the opinions of others.

Many philosophies contend that we can only live in the "here and now". Yes, we base our "now" evaluations on the moments of the past, and condition them on what we predict the future will look like, but the evaluation happens now. The more we line up our evaluations with the "facts" of this moment, as we can discern them, the more satisfying we will find them.

Цитата
The two phrases may have relatively independent meanings, as they are often used independently.

By putting the two phrases together, however, a slightly more specific meaning arises in my mindstream. To me, these two phrases imply that we should "get the most" / "live life to the fullest" / "achieve the most possible" out of each day so that we don't later regret wasting of lives (or portions thereof).

The question then becomes, "By what criteria do we measure ourselves?" Acquiring material possessions? Acquiring experiences and sensations? Making friends and influencing people? Building monuments? Playing games?

To the best of my knowledge, since at least the time of the ancient Greeks (>2000 years), people have debated/discussed hypthetical criteria by which we can judge if we're "living well." The problem is that any criterion proposed can be shown as limited to certain relative situations, so there's no one standard of "living well" that we can propose for all people in all times. Some people have attempted to add age-constraints as boundaries to criteria (for example, saying "children should play", "adults should work", "elders should contemplate"), but IMHO this still only provides vague guidelines.

Ignoring the concepts of "standards"/"criteria"/"absolutes" then, in each moment of my life I can ask myself, "what could I be doing now that would be most fun/interesting/educational/helpful?" (not "what should I be doing"...but "what could I be doing")...and by attempting to thus "live each day to the fullest" I avoid ever having reason to "look back with regret".

Цитата

"Seize the day" = "Base your actions on your own choices"

"Live without regrets" = "Accept the consequences of those choices"

Цитата
The funny thing about worrying--nobody every worries about the possibility of *good* things happening! While you are stopping yourself from worrying, considering reminding yourself that a whole bunch of *good* things might happen, with equal probability to the bad. "What-if" they LOVE your application and want you to start right away? What if the guy reviewing your application had a wonderful former lover named Shona that he still thinks of fondly? What if just after they offer you the job, your current boss comes to you and says they need you to step into a management role, for more pay? Imagine having to *choose* between two great jobs!

I'm not saying to be silly about it, but such an exercise helps you see that more can happen than just bad things.

I find that my fears and dreads hit me most powerfully when I wake up in the middle of the night. I find it constantly amazing how much I can stress over an issue then which I find nearly trivial the next morning. Most of these things involve stuff about which I can do next to nothing.

So here's another to think about as you try to stop your worrying--if you have put all you can into the things you HAVE control over (the quality of your application, the healthiest diet your son will let you impose on him), then the rest of it will just happen as it will. Your stress adds nothing to the outcome, except to debilitate you unnecessarily.

Another thing I do when stressing--I rehearse conversations with people. For a long time, I thought this would help me figure out how to handle all possibilities. Instead, what it does it put words into the mouths of other people which I then emotionally react to. I get *mad* at them for the possibility that they *might* say something. We have pretty stupid brains in some ways and in this case, the brain doesn't distinguish well between the *real* person and my imagining of them. So I feel everything as if it really happened that way. Imagine what that does to my emotional state the next time I actually talk to that person!

In my family, we have a code-word: NG! It means "needless guilt" and we use it to shut somebody up when they start to stress about pointless things after making a choice or taking an action.

So, remember NG, remember the equal probability of good, remember that rehearsing a conversation may leave you with inappropriate feelings, remember the difference between things you can affect and things you can't.

It all does come down to consciousness.

--------------------
www.realway.org - Сайт для тех, кто хочет быть настоящим процессором.
Вернуться в начало страницы

+Ответить с цитированием данного сообщения
Yeshe
сообщение 4.12.2006, 16:26
Сообщение #2

Из: Киев

About Math and Sense

Цитата
Math only makes sense because humans *made* it to make sense. Perhaps that's an important aspect of why K considered math such a sane language--because in doing math, you openly acknowledge the made-up rules of the game. With normal verbal discourse, we ignore or forget that we make up the symbols and their meaning in the first place.

Nora Miller

--------------------
www.realway.org - Сайт для тех, кто хочет быть настоящим процессором.

Kunira
сообщение 16.3.2008, 21:58
Сообщение #3

Из: Московская обл.

"Not things changing, but change thinging"
Robert P. Pula

Я в восторге!

Den
сообщение 17.3.2008, 14:13
Сообщение #4

Цитата(Kunira @ 16.3.2008, 21:58) *

Robert P. Pula

Я в восторге!

А что именно понравилось?

Kunira
сообщение 17.3.2008, 21:14
Сообщение #5

Цитата(Den @ 17.3.2008, 14:13) *

А что именно понравилось?

Вот это: "change thinging"
В тексте говорилось про процессы и наше их восприятие и я эту фразу поняла как "Не вещи изменяются, а изменения овеществляются".

Хотя в гугле нашла еще вот такое толкование:

1. thinging

an ambiguous verb used to replace a verb that you can't come up with at the moment. see also da kine.

"Hey mom. Yeah, just got back from, um, thinging my friends."

Den
сообщение 18.3.2008, 11:39
Сообщение #6

Цитата(Kunira @ 17.3.2008, 21:14) *

Вот это: "change thinging"
В тексте говорилось про процессы и наше их восприятие и я эту фразу поняла как "Не вещи изменяются, а изменения овеществляются".

"Изменения овеществляются", каким образом?

Kunira
сообщение 18.3.2008, 12:42
Сообщение #7

Цитата(Den @ 18.3.2008, 11:39) *

"Изменения овеществляются", каким образом?

Когда мы воспринимаем процесс, представляющий собой постоянные изменения, в качестве вещи, сохраняющей свои свойства длительное время.

Den
сообщение 18.3.2008, 13:40
Сообщение #8

Цитата(Kunira @ 18.3.2008, 12:42) *

Когда мы воспринимаем процесс, представляющий собой постоянные изменения, в качестве вещи, сохраняющей свои свойства длительное время.

"вещь, сохраняющяя свои свойства длительное время",
а если бы свойства воспринимаемого процесса постоянно менялись, то было бы воспринимамое "вещью" ?

Kunira
сообщение 18.3.2008, 20:30
Сообщение #9

process Several 'givens' underpin general-semantics. One of the most fundamental is the notion of 'process', i.e., that the universe-as-a-whole constitutes activity, a field, humans included. I have frequently expressed this as "Not things changing, but change thinging." Here we understand 'thing' as "...a more-or-less stable arrangement of 'energy' as integrated by a nervous system and/or its extensions." (1) So, an important neuro-linguistic point, nouns label processes, however, 'slow', 'steady state' or 'permanent'-seeming. You, too.

Цитата
а если бы свойства воспринимаемого процесса постоянно менялись, то было бы воспринимамое "вещью" ?

Наверно, зависит от установок нервной системы, если "она считает", что этот объект стабилен во времени (вещь), то он, скорее всего, таким и будет. bang.gif haha.gif

Den
сообщение 26.3.2008, 11:49
Сообщение #10

Мнение понятно.

Kunira
сообщение 20.4.2008, 20:28
Сообщение #11

Цитата(Kunira @ 16.3.2008, 22:58) *
Robert P. Pula

Оказывается, это высказывание не только мне понравилось ab.gif
В следующей книге, которая мне попалась (вернее, ОМ дал), тоже об этом говорится. coffee.gif

Добавить ответ в эту темуОткрыть тему